This is a delicious soup with the rice. The gumbo soup is always eaten with rice. The rice separately, and the gumbo separately but served together.
The soup is quite spicy gumbo can be cooked on meat and seafood, but always with a sweet green bell peppers.
Okra is a vegetable, from which came the name of the dish. He thicken the soup, but thicken the soup can and not only when using okra. Even in Louisiana do not always use okra for soup. I used shrimp. Gumbo with shrimp, crab meat and bacon.
Ingredients. Gumbo with shrimp crab meat and bacon.
Bacon 7.94oz ( 225 g)
Wheat flour ¾ Cup
Vegetable oil ½ Cup
Celery 2 pieces
Bell pepper green 1 piece
Garlic 5 cloves
Chicken broth 2.5 l
Tomatoes in tomato juice 14.11 oz ( 400g)
Thyme, fresh chopped 1 teaspoon
Okra 450 g
Bay leaf 1 piece
Pepper 1 teaspoon Cayenne
Parsley chopped ½ Cup
Onions 3 heads
Shrimp peeled 1.43 lbs (650 g)
Crab meat 1lbs (450 g)
Salt to taste
2 hours 15 minutes
1. Finely chop the onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper and okra. Chop the tomatoes, drain them liquid.
2. Cut into thin slices of bacon and fry it in a heavy (preferably cast iron) skillet over moderate heat until brown. With a spatula with slots to put in a bowl.
3. Pour into the pan with the fat rendered from bacon, vegetable oil, pour the flour, and stir on low heat, stirring constantly, cook about 20 minutes.
4. When the flour mixture with the oil will acquire a deep brown, add celery, bell pepper, 1/3 of the onion and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Replace the vegetables from the pan into a large pot (6 to 7 liters). Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, okra, thyme, Bay leaf, Cayenne pepper, salt ( 2 teaspoons) and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, about half an hour.
6. When the vegetables become very tender, add the parsley, remaining onion, shrimp, and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
7. Throw in a pot of crab meat chunks and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, and season with salt to taste.
8. Serve in deep plates, previously having taken out from gumbo Bay leaf. Gumbo with shrimp, crab meat and bacon.